Re: New maintainer

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2015 17:20:06 -0500

John, your points below are a continuation of a very interesting tactical (and
philosophical) debate... that was already held on this list fairly recently,
and that eventually went somewhat off-topic for this list even then :-).

While the questions you raise are worth discussing for the GNU project as a
whole, I think Richard has made it clear that the position of the FSF regarding
Emacs' development priorities is definitely not going to be changed as part of
this new maintainer discussion.

So if at this point you were to say that, as far as being an Emacs maintainer
goes, you understand and are willing to abide by the priorities Richard has
articulated, even though you disagree with them, that would settle an important
question.  Or if you don't think you can abide by them, in your work as
maintainer, that would be useful to know too (though it would probably result
in you not being the maintainer).

As you know, I hope you can abide by them and be the maintainer (or a
co-maintainer) because I think you'd be terrific at it.  But it's your call.  I
merely urge clarity; Richard has made his position clear, so if you do too then
things can move forward one way or the other.

Best,
-K