Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 17:20:46 +0300

On 10/10/2015 02:03 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

The above more focused and, as such, more useful. "Comprehensive IDE
features" is not as useful.

But it narrows the field too much, IMO.

I wonder.

From what I've seen, Emacs facilities that try to do too much, end up over-specializing. That limits the number of users and, consequently, volunteers that would want to support it further. In my view, CEDET is an example of that.

Another example is ECB that controls how all windows are displayed, and trying to do that in the fashion that many IDE users are accustomed to.

My story (and many other users' too, I'm sure) is that I've tried using it for a while, and in the end decided that mimicking the IDE workflow in that respect is not very valuable. It hasn't seen any new development for years.