Re: IDE

From: Przemysław Wojnowski
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 00:28:16 +0200

W dniu 18.10.2015 o 00:07, Dmitry Gutov pisze:
On 10/18/2015 01:03 AM, Przemysław Wojnowski wrote:

I think it is not a problem. An IDE could switch (or enable) language
backend
depending on current language. For C-like (or maybe statically typed in
general) languages (covering most of programming world) could use
Semantic, for
other languages maybe something other (like tern for JS).

It would be better if we could support a set of common operations for both
static and dynamic languages. If those were implemented by Semantic by static
languages, more power to it.
I don't think it is possible, because languages are very different and their
surrounding tooling is very different.

The EDE subthread also brought up some ideas for project.el.
Does that mean that you don't want to reuse EDE, but reimplement everything
from scratch? Don't you think it would be better to reuse what already
is and
just change parts of it to be more flexible?

Have you looked at lisp/progmodes/project.el yet?
Yes. And I've looked at EDE at SF (http://sourceforge.net/p/cedet/git/ci/master/tree/lisp/cedet/ede/). There's support for many types of projects, build tools, etc. There are even some tests.

What's the point of reimplementing that from scratch?