Re: [ANN] New library stream.el in ELPA

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: [ANN] New library stream.el in ELPA
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 11:29:59 -0700

On 10/14/2015 02:31 PM, John Wiegley wrote:

>> What if I extract it in a thunk.el library and install it in master (with
>> proper tests), and have stream.el use that? (I could also put stream.el in
>> Emacs, but Stefan thought it would be better to have it in ELPA).
>
> Probably I'd prefer to see thunk.el in master, and stream.el in ELPA, since
> the latter is a bit more special-cased and "implemented in terms of core". If
> it ends up proving to be a valuable core addition, we can always bring it into
> master later.

I prefer keeping code in master. That way, it's easily maintained and
distributed automatically. There's very little downside: nobody is going
to miss a few tens of kilobytes of compiled elisp.

> We should talk about where to draw "the ELPA divide" at some point too. Core
> Emacs sort of has at least two separate roles: Functionality the Emacs
> developers have standardized on -- as a common framework to build packages
> upon -- and packages that should really be installed anywhere Emacs is
> installed.

I see no need to flake off useful parts of Emacs and put them into ELPA
when the core is not resource-constrained.

For me, using ELPA packages is a bit more awkward, since I don't use
package.el and pull in the bits of ELPA I want manually. If your package
is only in ELPA, I probably won't hear about it, and unless it's
particularly compelling, I won't use it.