Re: Contributors and maintainers

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Contributors and maintainers
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 10:05:46 -0700

> The lack of respect I'm receiving is *not* of the kind where someone is
> being actively nasty, insulting, etc. It's a kind where a person's very
> voice is being denied, not even countered. That's pretty grave.

Taylan, I don't understand. Looking at emacs-devel and the bug tracker, I see
that many people have responded to you. Here are the reply counts:

    26 Eli Zaretskii
     9 Paul Eggert
     9 Dmitry Gutov
     7 Random832
     3 Michael Albinu
     3 John Wiegley
     3 David Kastrup
     3 Artur Malabarb
     1 Stephen J. Tur
     1 Nicolas Richar
     1 Daniel Colasci

Eli has taken the time to write back to you 26 times! This doesn't even count
the sub-threads where we discuss meta issues not directly related to your
issue.

Can you share with me what your real concern is? Do you worry that Emacs is
not secure enough? Is their an active threat of some kind in your environment?
Perhaps there's something about your use case we're not seeing, that would
explain the greater importance of this issue to you.

We've been living with the current shell-quote-argument for literally
*decades*, which might explain why we're not instantly ready to make changes
-- even though Eli has made a change to the docstring at your request. How
does that constitute "no response"? I am confused.

Also, it does not help to reiterate how clear and cogent your arguments have
been. Until we both agree, "clarity" and "cogency" have not been achieved.
These attributes must exist *between* disputants; they cannot be determined by
one side alone. We have all been working to achieve clarity, but I fear this
has been misunderstood as a stubborn rejection of your ideas.

John