Re: IDE

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 23:16:38 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > If they do, they will not be able to distinguish between the
>> > definition and the references.  All the values are equal.
>>
>> I use etags-select for displaying multiple entries for the same key. The
>> line corresponding to each value is shown, so you can locate what you
>> want reasonably fast.
>
> How fast it is depends on the number of references.  It is not
> reasonable to ask the user to examine all the references one by one in
> order to find the single definition.  "Go to definition" should be
> instantaneous, if we want to satisfy users.

My example shows multiple definitions of the same key taken from a TAGS
file, which proves that you can store there multiple values for the same
key and solve a real problem.

> References is another matter: there users expect a list from which to
> choose.

For references, TAGS is of little help. Grep is probably better.
Obviously, pointing to a data member or function and asking for the
references to *that* data member or function is something that is beyond
what Emacs core will provide on a realistic timeframe. People interested
on adding that feature to Emacs core would be more productive directing
their effort to GCC than to Emacs.