Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 04:16:37 +0200

On 10/22/2015 03:58 PM, Eric Ludlam wrote:

Semantic's idle process handling makes sure databases are synchronized
once, then enables tools to run after, so it is more about the
scheduling of different tools that use semantic.

Cool. But I guess we could just say I was thinking of 'semantic-idle-summary-idle-function, and not semantic-idle-summary-mode itself.

In addition, by going through the semantic version, there are a range of
different formatting options to use that the user can select from.  That
doesn't require idle-summary-mode, but is a side effect of using
semantic to extract contextual information.

The formatting options depend on using some rich structure like Semantic tags. So it would make sense to port that only after we standardize on some tag format universally across Emacs (are Semantic tags optimal? I don't know).

It was deemed optional when Yidong merged CEDET into Emacs.  You will
probably need to use Emacs24 to make it work.  To try it out do this:

Step 6 is broken for me.

1) Install graphviz (it uses that for the layout engine)
2) Start emacs 24
3) Use CEDET from it's git repository
4) M-x find-library RET cogre RET
5) find cogre-element-peer in the code
6) M-x cogre-uml-quick-class RET

I only get a "Class:" prompt, without a default value or completions. Typing "cogre-element-peer" gives me "Could not find class ...", even though cogre is obviously loaded. That's in Emacs 24.5.

When thinking about CEDET, it isn't about a
bullet list of user facing features but about how it can enable someone
working on said feature to have their work leveraged to a wider audience.

People working on said features should be encouraged, of course. Unfortunately, the two more interesting projects that I've seen utilize CEDET are language-specific:

- SRefactor only does anything useful for C/C++.
- Oleh Krehel's function-args even mentions C/C++ in its summary.

Perhaps, if there were more broadly applicable examples, it would lead to broader adoption. Maybe we should wonder why prefer making tools for CEDET that only target C and C++.