Re: merging the xwidget_mvp branch

From: Michael Abrahams
Subject: Re: merging the xwidget_mvp branch
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 12:22:31 -0500

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 11:37 AM, raman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Another way to  get there -- integrating emacs and  a browser window --
> might be the recently announced exwm ---   that way we would not be just
> limited to Webkit --- but could run Mozilla, Chrome or generic Webkit
> --

To chime in support - after hearing about the xwidget branch a few
weeks ago I gave it a shot, and found it was functioning pretty
nicely. I didn't get a chance to study the internals, but as Joakim
said, the overall experience of using inline widgets is very similar
to that of inline images.  (The main xwidget branch, although not
cleaned up for merging like xwidget_mvp, provides a variety of
different widgets to try out. Some widgets work better than others.)

One use case that comes to mind is a Company-style visual completion popup.