Re: Move to a cadence release model?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Move to a cadence release model?
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:48:39 +0200

> Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 07:50:14 +0800
> From: Xue Fuqiao <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs-devel <address@hidden>, John Yates <address@hidden>
>
> Some examples of this model are Linux (a new release every few months,
> although there is a separate set of "stable" branches), Firefox (a new
> release every six weeks), Chromium (roughly the same as Firefox), and
> LibreOffice (six monthly releases).

I think we can only have useful discussions of those other models if
they are not just mentioned, but described in some detail.  Relevant
details IMO include the number of active developers, the number of
gatekeepers and/or people actively involved in the patch review
process, some statistics about the commit rate, etc.  Only armed with
those details can we reason whether any of those models are applicable
to Emacs, and what would be the prerequisites of each model.  E.g.,
people talk about reviewing patches, pull requests, gerrit, etc., but
we don't even _have_ a patch review process per se.