Comms and building Emacs. [Re: Framework extending window functions for

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Comms and building Emacs. [Re: Framework extending window functions for Follow Mode (etc.).]
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:15:48 +0000

Hello, John.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 08:50:41AM -0800, John Wiegley wrote:

> > Even specifying precisely what it would have to do is far from trivial.

> It will still be very good to have a specification. If we try to support a
> feature we can't properly define.. much hard.

It would be essential to have such a spec, even if we ended up having to
change the spec as we went along.

> > I don't seem to have Hello in my Firefox, though I've got version 38.4.
> > Perhaps the folk at Gentoo stripped it out for some reasone, or I built it
> > with some "use flag" (sorry for the Gentoo jargon) not set. Or something.

> If you have anything else available, I use many means for conferencing.

I've never done anything like that before.  Sorry if it has appeared
that I was just being awkward.  I do have a (probably working)
earphones/microphone combination, though.  I think I'll ask on the
Gentoo list if anybody knows what might have happened to my Firefox
Hello.

> > I have finally uploaded the source to savannah, in branch
> > scratch/follow (assuming git hasn't fooled me about this).  Why don't
> > you try it out yourself?

> I would love to, but at the moment I'm having difficulties just building
> master. If you could show me, then you won't be stuck on me.

Is the emphasis on "at the moment" or on the "I'm having difficulties"?
If the former, hopefully the person who committed the build-breaking
commit will fix it.

If you've been so preoccupied by the duties of maintainer that you
haven't yet got a build to succeed, here are some tips:

1. The process is described in INSTALL.REPO in our top level directory.
2. This process is basically:
  (i) From the top level directory ...
  (ii)  ./autogen.sh
  (iii) ./configure    # You can put options here, such as for
                       # debugging, or a host of other things.
  (iv) make -j5 bootstrap # This step is critical the first time you
                          # build a repository.  The "-j5" is for the
                          # number of make jobs you have running at a
                          # time.  Recommended: # of cores + 1.
  (v) make -j5            # For the second and subsequent times you
                          # build.
3. The executable "emacs", hard-linked to "emacs-25.0.50.n", ends up in
the src directory.  To run it, just type "src/emacs -Q" (or whatever).

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).