Re: use-package.el -> Emacs core

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: use-package.el -> Emacs core
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 13:43:44 +0100

Hello,

address@hidden (João Távora) writes:
> Nicolas Richard <address@hidden> writes:
>> IIRC in the above snippet (from the expansion of a use-package
>> instance), `fboundp' is mostly used as `autoloadp' to avoid overwriting
>> existing autloads (I guess autloadp wasn't used because it takes an
>> OBJECT as argument instead of a symbol).
>
> Is this useful or desirable?

I guess it was useful to some people. This triggered its addition :
https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package/issues/135
(then later : https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package/issues/177)

I think however that this is a detail which is pretty much independent
from the question of adding use-package to core.

>                              Doesn't this mean that making a correction
> to a `use-package' instantiation and re-evaluating it will silently
> produce a noop?

In case of autoloads it seems so. For other configuration keywords, not
necessarily.

> In the same vein, does `use-package' undo autoloads (or keybindings or
> any other thing) when the directive's value changes?

No.

--
Nico.