Re: parinfer-mode for Emacs might be neat for encouraging Lisp adoption

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: parinfer-mode for Emacs might be neat for encouraging Lisp adoption
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 15:55:35 +0000

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 3:34 PM, Oleh Krehel <address@hidden> wrote:
> João Távora <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Oleh,
>>
>> What do you think of this prototype?

> I think this is what `aggresive-indent-mode' does. Additionally "DEL" on
> `let*' doesn't work for me for some reason.

Ahaha. Right. That's what I get for not reading up on prior art :-)

> I've disabled it long time ago, since I use lispy. But I tried just now
> and the interactive variant of this doesn't work in `electric-pair-mode':
>
> (progn
>   (kill-new "(foo")
>   (yank))

What do you mean, it doesn't work what did you expect to happen?

electric-pair-mode only kicks in when inserting parenthesis interactively.

> The thing with lispy is that you get /extra/ free shortcuts only for
> LISP. These free shortcuts are possible to get only for LISP because of

To be fair to lispy, probably also for JSON and some other languages.

> the
> The first `forward-list' will work fine, but the second one will
> throw. Why not just call `up-list' in that case?
> "]" (`lispy-forward') is `forward-list' with exactly that modification.

I like that it forbids me to go past the end of the list. I even use that
for programming without looking at the computer. Just forward list a
million times until you hear the bell.

I understand lispy's convenience philosophy, but it's undeniable that
it expands the instruction set. I'm after the low hanging fruit: keep
the same reduced instruction set and have Emacs resonably guess
what I'm trying to do.

--
João Távora