Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 19:08:21 -0800

> But the current master is 25.1.50, instead of 26.0.50. And it accepts new
> features.

> Do you plan to change the versioning scheme (again), John?

> Ref: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-09/msg00872.html

To me, version numbers are about delivery to the user. If APIs change, or
Emacs start to look and feel different, it should be a major version bump. If
it instead integrates something that's not really a user-facing feature, that
can go in on a minor bump. In general, the 25 "series" should feel like a
consistent march of refinement.

Concurrency would very much justify 26.x, but I don't think dynamic loading
should. That's much more of a developer-oriented feature. It doesn't change
the overall feel, and while it adds APIs, it doesn't change them. (If I'm
wrong on that last point, then yes, 26 it is).

John