Re: End of file while generating loaddefs.el

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: End of file while generating loaddefs.el
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 09:33:38 +0100

> I don't know why prin1 crashed, but I do know why Emacs complains
> about end of file: there are null bytes in the middle of loaddefs.el.
> Do you have those too?

I suppose you mean this entry:

(autoload 'xref-find-backend "xref" "\

\(fn)" nil nil)

Do autoload cookies require a doc-string?

> Emacs creates loaddefs.el by visiting the previous one and scanning it
> for certain patterns.  Those stray null bytes interrupt a pattern, so
> the result is that Emacs tries to parse an incomplete sexp, and barfs.

Why (apparently) on Windows only?

> if you also see these null bytes, delete them so that the expected
> format of the file is preserved, then re-run "make autoloads" -- it
> should succeed.

I now have

(autoload 'xref-find-backend "xref" "\
Run...

\(fn)" nil nil)

instead and it ran to completion.

> I don't know how these nulls ended up in loaddefs, the only hint is
> that they appear in the same place which Emacs scans when it produces
> this warning:
>
>    Making generated-autoload-file local to  *autoload-file* while let-bound

How did you spot that location?

martin