Re: Adding BBDB 3 core to Emacs

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Adding BBDB 3 core to Emacs
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 10:47:43 +0900

Roland Winkler writes:
 > On Mon Nov 23 2015 Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > >  > Have you looked at the new code?
 > >
 > > I don't need to; I trust you that 'most every line has been changed,
 > > and many functions completely rewritten.  The point is that old
 > > configuration works with very little change with the new code.
 > > Therefore it stinks of "derivative work" to me.
 >
 > Your view

It's not "my view", it's Emacs project policy as designed by Richard
Stallman with the advice of the FSF lawyers.  Ask the AUCTeX guys how
picky it gets. :-(

*My* view is that I have always disagreed with FSF legal strategy on
both philosophical and tactical grounds, but until the FSF changes its
position, I'm going to help it implement its policy.  A united front
is far more important than my personal, non-expert opinion.

 > would never allow a program like libreoffice to come into existence.

It's not what others can do with BBDB code that matters.  AFAIK
there's no doubt that it's GPL.  What matters is whether the FSF legal
staff can be convinced it's not encumbered by third-party copyrights.