Git help: amending a substandard commit message in savannah.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Git help: amending a substandard commit message in savannah.
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 10:51:52 +0000

Hello, Emacs.

Yesterday, I committed a fix to savannah on "my own" branch
fix/not-defined-at-runtime.  The commit message was poorly constructed.

I have corrected this locally with

    git commit --amend

.  When I attempt to push this to savannah with

    git push --force

, my attempt quite properly gets rejected with an error message.

Is there any way I can get this correction onto this branch (e.g. does
anybody have the necessary permissions to perform the git push --force),
or would I be better just to abandon the branch and create another one?

By the way, what happens to abandoned branches?  Does anybody do a
periodic scan of branches to get rid of them?  They surely don't go away
of their own accord.  If they aren't garbage collected, then the
repository's list of branches will steadily fill up with useless cruft.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).