Re: Speed of keyboard macro execution?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Speed of keyboard macro execution?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 19:37:50 +0200

> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 12:00:51 -0500
> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > It's a bit disingenuous on the part of that person to compare Emacs
> > with another editor _solely_ where there's a known inefficiency in
> > Emacs, and pretend that this is somehow representative of the
> > general differences in performance between these two editors.
> > After all, how frequently do you need to edit files with lines in
> > excess of 11K characters?
>
> I don't know if it was disingenuous or not, but I think that being
> able to improve performance would not be a bad thing.

Of course.  We agree.  This particular problem doesn't have a solution
yet, but if someone has ideas, feel free to describe them and submit
patches.

> I've noticed that a lot of things (like keyboard macros) are often
> slower than expected in modern Emacs.

Please file bugs for those, with recipes to reproduce the slowness,
and I assure you they will be looked at.

> We may, as a developer community, have allowed the speed of modern
> hardware to lull us into complacency on issues like
> performance. Emacs should be the best editor it can be.

I agree.  The issue is how to solve those problems, not whether we
want to or should.

> I suppose this ties back in to earlier discussions about automated
> testing (as, among other things, automated testing can find
> performance regressions before they matter.)

The particular issue with long lines doesn't need any test suite to
reveal it.  It's a known issue, ever since Emacs 21.1 was developed;
it's not a regression that somehow slipped into Emacs.  I filed bug
#13675 for it to make a statement: we don't want to live with this
problem, we want to solve it.  Ideas for how are welcome.

Thanks.