Re: Speed of keyboard macro execution?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Speed of keyboard macro execution?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 20:57:27 +0200

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Cc: "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 19:44:54 +0100
>
> I don't think there is much sense in having line-move-visual mode active
> when recording/replaying keyboard macros.
>
> Tying the operation of keyboard macros to the current display/font
> selection is just meaningless.  Its purpose is for _aiming_ positioning
> by keyboard, and that's just not useful at keyboard replay.

I think it depends on the keyboard macro.  The ones I saw in that demo
did move point, moreover they moved it to the end of a very long line,
so both the actual redisplay and its simulation were at work,
including auto-hscroll.

I don't see how you can prevent that: macros are just a mechanical way
of recording and replaying commands, and commands sure do need to run
this code.

In any case, keyboard macros are not relevant to the discussion
(contrary to the subject line).  The issue is slow redisplay with long
lines.