Re: The poor state of documentation of pcase like things.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The poor state of documentation of pcase like things.
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 11:21:25 +0200

> From: Rasmus <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 10:12:00 +0100
>
> > IMO, that's largely a waste of your time and energy: the manual is
> > rarely if ever read in its entirety, or even in large portions.  Most
> > of its uses is to quickly find the subject whose description you need,
> > hopefully by using the Info-index command ("i TOPIC RET"), and read
> > that and perhaps some of the cross-references there.  With this use
> > case, the level on which a description is found is irrelevant.
>
> But by lifting it, it would appear more prominently in the TOC.

Only in the printed book, maybe.  The TOC of the Info manual is flat:
all the nodes appear on the same level.  Are printed or PDF manuals
being used a lot these days, in preference to the Info manual?

Besides, did you ever see anyone read the TOC of a large manual?  I
didn't.  I guess someone might do that, but I cannot imagine this
being a frequent use case.

Once again, I won't object to such a change, I just think there are
lots and lots of much more important things that can and should be
done in Emacs development, even in the documentation area.  I'd love
to see the available scarce resource we have applied in those more
important areas, if possible.