Re: Emacs touch interface

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Emacs touch interface
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 09:47:00 +0100

> Hm.  Did I ask about this before?  I think I may have, but I can't find
> it now...
>
> Have anybody made a command set for touch gestures for Emacs?  The only
> thing I could find was this old, apparently abandoned project:
>
> https://github.com/dto/emacs-gestures
>
> There's strokes-mode, which is in the same neck of the woods, but is
> more of a framework for creating commands from mouse strokes, which is
> kinda a bit different.
>
> I think a basic touch screen minor mode would be handy for some newer
> laptops.  Like, "pull down" to scroll a page, and "swipe right" to enter
> a directory, and...  stuff...
>
> The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to figure out how to use a
> Surface Pro as a music playing machine without having a keyboard.  I've
> got an Emacs-based music player, of course, and I can use the on-screen
> keyboard for "complicated" things (like searching for a specific
> artist), but it seems to me like there should be a common (but
> extensible) set of swipe-based commands for Emacs...

I also have a surface pro running Fedora and Emacs.
I use (grab-and-drag-mode 1) which helps a bit.

A couple of years ago I made a command completion mode when I used Emacs
on the Openmoko phone. It has since bitrotted but the idea was to
present all unique stems of all possible completions. This was
convenient while not having a keyboard.

--
Joakim Verona