Re: ASCII-only startup message?

From: Random832
Subject: Re: ASCII-only startup message?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 02:05:55 -0500

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:
> (And yes, _personally_, I would prefer that we make life easier for
> users in Info and *Help* and *Messages* and ... too, if that were
> still possible.  But that's not what this discussion is about.)

To take a step back and think about solving both problems... What
about a list of characters - to include, by default, quotation marks
and apostrophes and maybe a few other things like dashes - that are
allowed to be silently mapped to best-fit ASCII equivalents when
writing a buffer in a coding system that does not support them?