Re: Is there any particular reason `scroll-other-window' is written in C

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Is there any particular reason `scroll-other-window' is written in C and not in ELisp?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 20:41:00 +0100

On 2015-12-29, at 20:01, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 19:44:21 +0100
>>
>> Now that I think of it, I guess rewriting scroll-other-window in Elisp
>> wouldn't help a lot - I'd probably still have to advise them, or else
>> C-M-v should check what is bound to <next> and <prior> in the buffer to
>> be scrolled.  Does anyone have a better idea how to be able to scroll
>> a pdf in other window using C-M-v and C-M-S-v?
>
> It sounds like there has to be some entirely different command bound
> to C-M-v for what you want to happen.  The stock scrolling commands
> know nothing about the significance of the "next PDF page", so they
> cannot possibly do that for you.  They just bring more stuff from the
> buffer into view.

This made me think that it /might/ be a good idea to introduce
a (buffer-local) variable (or a pair of variables) which would point to
function(s) taking the role of scroll-up/scroll-down in "unusual"
buffers.  This might make sense with pdfs, but also (possibly) images
(and maybe something else, too - I imagine EMMS's buffer /might/ point
those to emms-next/emms-previous, for instance).

WDYT?

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University