Re: Emacs touch interface

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs touch interface
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 21:10:11 +0100

Multitouch and gestures on GNU/Linux is a rather painful subject,
apparently.  If you google for it, you get a lot of outdated
information, but apparently the modern way to get access to gestures is
via a library called "geis":

http://people.canonical.com/~stephenwebb/geis-v2-api/using_geis_v1.html

Here's an example program that uses this stuff:

https://github.com/JoseExposito/touchegg/blob/master/src/touchegg/gestures/collector/GestureCollector.cpp

With geis, you have access to gestures like "three fingered drag to the
left" and "four finger pinch" which you can then map to any action you
like.

  (local-set-key [(pinch three-fingered outwards)] 'report-emacs-bug)

:-)

Getting this stuff into Emacs looks like a bigger project than I had
thought...  and you'd need completely separate implementations on
GNU/Linux, Windows and OS X...

So I'm not going to look into this any further, I think.  The
aforementioned Touchégg program provides an external mapper from
gestures to key strokes, and I'm just going to use that for my one use
case (an Emacs-based music player).