Re: 4K Bugs

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: 4K Bugs
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 20:10:16 +0000

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> There are 4051 open bugs in the Emacs bug tracker.  Did we forget to
> celebrate, or are we waiting until it reaches a rounder number, like
> 4096?
>
> I shouldn't really be the one to kvetch about this since I disappear
> for months on end, but is there something that we could do to make more
> people do bug triage?
>
> Move debbugs-gnu from ELPA to Emacs?  :-)

I'm very late to this discussion, but inspired by Lar's bug fix spree I
decided to see if I could have a go myself. I found the process a little
confusing. Here are some points:

 - After installing debbugs, there is no obvious entry point. M-x
   debugs-[tab] gives 30 different commands.

 - The two shortest commands are debbugs-org and debbugs-gnu. The former
   lists all the bugs for Org-Mode, and the latter Emacs. Why
   debbugs-gnu and not debbugs-emacs? I don't know.

 - debbugs-gnu list bugs from number 158 and upward; the entire first
   500 is about emacs 23 pre-releases. If I want to get the latest bugs,
   they are on page 5.

 - Bugs marked as "done" and "unreproducible" are displayed by default.

 - On none of the debbugs pages are there any obvious menu items or
   bug-related functionality.

 - I found out about hitting "C" to send a control message. Configuring
   this to "mail client" and up pops thunderbird, although I am a Gnus
   user.

 - I found "bugtracker" in admin/notes late in the day. It doesn't
   mention the debbugs package AFAICT. It's full of information, but a
   lot of it is how to manage the bug tracker. I don't know if there is
   anything better on how-to-fix a bug. It also ends with a warning that
   the database takes "well over 1Gb of space" which makes it look
   rather old.

So, I think that the process is rather harder than it needs to be.

If anyone is willing to hold-my-hand, and take me through the process of
fixing a couple of bugs (not the actual bug-hunting, which I can do),
I'll write the process up as a short tutorial as I did with for
etc/DEBUG. This way I can use my ignorance to good purpose.

Phil