Re: mark expensive tests

From: Simon Michael
Subject: Re: mark expensive tests
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 08:55:33 -0800

On 1/9/16 4:09 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>>> Org has "make help" and "make helpall" and it's all placed directly and
>>> easily readable in the main Makefile (which then provides the actual make
>>> machinery via includes).
>>
>> Except that no one would know to use those as targets (am I building help, or
>> getting help?). The README is a better place.
>
> One doesn't preclude the other, of course.  The point was that Makefile
> could be way more self-documenting if better documentation of its
> targets was the goal.

FWIW,
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/print/article/self-documenting-makefiles is
a nice system.
https://github.com/simonmichael/hledger/blob/master/help-system.mk is a
tweaked version, used by
https://github.com/simonmichael/hledger/blob/master/Makefile:

$ make
Makefile:39: -------------------- hledger make rules --------------------
Makefile:41: make [help] -- list documented rules in this makefile. make
-n RULE shows more detail.
Makefile:217: (INSTALLING:)
Makefile:219: make install -- download dependencies and install hledger
executables to ~/.local/bin or equivalent (with stack)
Makefile:244: (BUILDING:)
Makefile:248: make build -- download dependencies and build hledger
executables (with stack)
etc.