Re: forward-sexp when on a floating point number

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: forward-sexp when on a floating point number
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 09:35:28 -0800

> Is there any interest in making this behavior, i.e. treating each floating
> point number as a single sexp, the default (or at least easily customizable)
> in the core?

Changing core to move from syntactic-based to semantics-based movement was
brought up in another thread, concerning the meaning of ":" in ruby-mode:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-01/msg00125.html

These are deep changes, with many implications, and I don't think we're ready
for that just yet. If we want to support a more semantic notion of what
symbols and punctuations mean in various modes, we should think through all
the ramifications, and come up with a design that either replaces or extends
the current syntactic notions we use now.

So I'm not in favor of making any code changes today; but I am interested in
hearing proposals and ideas.