Re: Removal of unexec support from glibc malloc

From: Ali Bahrami
Subject: Re: Removal of unexec support from glibc malloc
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 17:56:55 -0700

On 1/18/16 5:45 PM, Wolfgang Jenkner wrote:
On Mon, Jan 18 2016, Ali Bahrami wrote:

Some of them
didn't have unexec working, and we'd just use temacs instead. It took on
the order of 5-10 seconds to start up and become useful, rather than
starting instantaneously. That was nearly 20 years ago.

But I guess you loaded pre-compiled elisp files on those machines?

To the best of my recollection, it used the pre-compiled .elc files.

Byte compiling the lisp is completely portable and under emacs's
control, so it doesn't have the same sort of issues as unexec.

- Ali