Re: find-file-project

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: find-file-project
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 02:51:23 +0300

On 01/21/2016 02:46 AM, Drew Adams wrote:

Maybe you meant `try-completion'?  And even that uses `completion-styles',
which is pretty flexible (not in the way that I wanted, but at least it
allows for different kinds of completion).

completion-styles are too slow. We want to be able to delegate matching to an external program.

Maybe try reading the thread next time, before jumping in?

So don't use `completion-at-point-functions', if they don't give you
what you want.  I don't use them.  That shouldn't mean that you need
to screw `all-completions' or `minibuffer-completion-table'.

completion-at-point-functions are fine. The completion tables, as currently defined, are insufficiently powerful.

We also want to use the new kind of completion tables for e.g. project-find-file, which does use the minibuffer.

`completion-at-point-functions', too limited or not, is fairly recent.
`all-completions' and `minibuffer-completion-table' are decades old.
They are solid, basic tools.

Emacs should improve over time.