Re: Entering Unicode characters

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Entering Unicode characters
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 06:41:57 +0900

> 2016/01/26 23:49、Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> のメール:
>
>> I just selected the Turkish qwerty layout and when I hit g for 2 secs I get
>> ğ as a possibility. When I am in the US layout I don't get this possibility.
>> In US I get èéêëēėę for e, ÿ for y, ûüùúū for u (and similar options of
>> other vowels), I also get ßśš for s. If I do the same with a capital letter
>> (holding Shift + the letter) I get all the possible capital letters for the
>> selected letter, for ex. S offers ŚŠ but no capital ß.
>>
>> That's a very convenient way to visually check and select characters.
>
> I think you are describing how Emacs input method work.  Try this:
>
>  C-u C-\ turkish-postfix RET
>
> then type i and watch the echo area.

What I see is the character I need to type to get something I don't see. That's
not what Richard requested:

> 2016/01/26 18:39、Richard Stallman <address@hidden> のメール:
>
> I want a system that lets me choose them by seeing them on the screen.
> I want to specify a language or script and see all its characters.

> The advantage of Emacs input methods is that they don't depend on the
> locale.  (The disadvantage is that they only affect Emacs; but for
> someone who lives inside Emacs, that's not a problem ;-)

The OSX system does not either. I can use a French input system in a Turkish
local with a JIS keyboard. Out of the box (and the fact that it is not
available out of the box on GNU/Linux system is one of the main reason why I
don't work on them, but that's not relevant here).

Jean-Christophe