Re: Entering Unicode characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Entering Unicode characters
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 10:21:45 +0200

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 08:16:10 +0900
>
> After checking the turkish-postfix input method, I noticed that the only
> character that is displayed "a la OSX" is the "i". All the other characters
> for which there are variants are *not* displayed and only their composing
> characters are. So emacs is actually *not* displaying resulting characters.

That's quail.el "working as designed" for these input methods.  Most
input methods for Far Eastern scripts show the alternatives almost
always.

> What I suggested would be an improvement is, for ex in latin-1-postfix, to
> have the following display when you hit "a":
>
> a["'/^_`~] 1.ä 2.á 3.å 4.â 5.ª 6.à 7.ã
>
> right now you only have:

If that's what we want, we need to change quail.el where it decides
whether or not to show the alternative translations.

Perhaps Handa-san could comment on the reasons for this design in
'quail-get-translations': why does it show the list of possible
translations only sometimes?  Is it just an optimization?