Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Alain Schneble
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 09:10:16 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Alain Schneble <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Yeah, that's true.  It's less fragile.  But I wonder whether being that
> application friendly can sometimes be a disservice?  ...

Oh yes, indeed, it can be.  I'm with you.

>                                                 ...  If you're an
> application writer, trying to be as async as possible (that is, after
> all, why you're using :nowait 'immediate), would you prefer that random
> functions block without telling you, or that they error out?

I think the point here is that with these blocking calls in place, we
wouldn't really need a separate :nowait 'immediate, just the existing
:nowait t.  And IIUC, this is also what Eli Zaretskii proposes.  With
this model, :nowait t really means: I request as much async behavior as
possible.  But if code is not arranged in an async fashion, then well,
you might not get full async behavior.  It's your fault, but we won't
signal an error.

> Hm...  I don't know what I'd prefer, really...  *ponder*

*ponder-in-circles*