Re: VC's modeline

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: VC's modeline
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 15:29:31 -0800

On 02/08/2016 01:39 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> vc has been in place for decades, and is one of the things that makes
>> programming on Emacs pleasant. I'm not in favor of just removing the
>> feature because there are a few unfixed bugs. There is nothing
>> fundamentally wrong with the model.
>
> Agreed.
>
> What I think is wrong the level of detail expected in the status line.

I'd _like_ to see arbitrarily large amounts of detail on the modeline
provided that we can display this information safely and efficiently.
Why not? If one VCS in particular can't provide this information in a
timely manner, sure, we can override vc-mode-line-string and display
something more spartan. But the ideal should be to show as much as possible.

> E.g. I think it'd be fine for VC to just display "Bzr" (or "Hg", or
> "Git", or what have you) instead.  I think it'd even be fine to do that
> without checking whether the file is really under that VCS's control or
> not (i.e. without checking whether the file is ignored).  IOW, a file
> opened in a directory with a ".git" somewhere in the parents could just
> say "Git", without any other check.
>
>> There is no reason that vc integration can't work well and be on by
>> default.
>
> Having to call a "git" process twice per find-file-noselect is a high
> price for a very small benefit.
>
>> It was working before my change; now it works better.
>
> Yes, I'm really not arguing against your change.
>
>> A reasonable performance improvement should not be an occasion for
>> discussing the removal of a feature made faster.
>
> Sorry.  It just reminded me of this problem that's been around for a while.

Yes, I think that thread got off on the wrong foot. It's better now.