Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 21:17:49 +0000

On 10 Feb 2016 1:25 pm, "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > (And how many of those 5721 characters can be matched from a latin
> > > letter?)
> >
> > OK, I see what you meant.
>
> You do?

I think so. But I don't want to prolong that line of thought, because it wasn't a useful argument anyway.

> Btw, from my POV, the ease of searching for characters not on my
> keyboard is not the main point of this feature.  The main feature is
> to search for similar characters.  (Of course, I don't mind if someone
> likes this for other reasons.)

That's actually my personal preference too. I like that I can search for "o" and hit "õ" (both are used in Portuguese text).
However, this would not be a good _default_ for Brazilian users.  Because once in a while you might not want it, and if the user didn't enable this behaviour himself he probably won't know that it can be disabled. (at least, this is what I think right now).

> > Although currently Emacs does fold all decompositions by default, this is just temporary. We've said we would turn that off before release (and in fact I'll do that tomorrow (and ammend my post too)).
>
> We didn't say we will turn it off, we said we will _decide_ whether to
> turn it off.  So please don't turn it off just yet, we are still
> collecting feedback.

Sorry, I already did earlier today. Seems I was under the wrong impression. Feel free to turn it back on for now.

FTR, my feedback is that I'd like to give the implementation a little more time before enabling it by default on a stable release.