Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Alain Schneble
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 22:37:45 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Alain Schneble <address@hidden>
>> CC: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 12:19:03 +0100
>>
>> Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Well, it changes a test in the network loop that is basically a if (!
>> > NILP (Qnil)) in 99.9999% (plus some nines) of the cases with code that
>> > loops through all processes in the network loop all the time.
>>
>> True.  Seems like I was too naive. I thought that these additional
>> cycles were negligible (even though it's O(n)...).
>
> We could traverse the list when Emacs is idle and maintain the result
> in a cache variable.

What exactly do you mean by "when Emacs is idle"?  The loop is in
wait_reading_process_output and I thought that this is "kind of"
executed when Emacs is idle.  Or do you refer to idle timers?  I tried
to analyze the call graph starting from command_loop.  I must be missing
something...  Is there yet another concept of "idleness" in Emacs?