Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 19:30:09 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> The general opinion is also that char-folding is nonetheless useful to
>> many users, despite the fact that it will generate incorrect results in
>> some languages. The only question that needs to be answered right now is
>> whether the feature will be turned on or off by default. And on that
>> point, the tendency seems to be to have it off by default, with the
>> ability to toggle it within an i-search.
>
> Actually, my counts indicate that more people want it on by default
> than off.

Well, if you're already counting, I don't want it on by default.

I do have potential uses for the feature, but it must be switchable on
the spot, when and where I need it.  Even a mode-based customization
seems too heavy-handed to me, at least in the modes I envision to work
most of the time.

Allow me to make a general remark towards the trend lately to "let's
switch on every newfangled feature by default because it can be switched
off via customization".  I'm quite sure I can't be the only one who
regularly has to work on new systems or accounts that only offer a stock
Emacs.  It is simply not possible to always figure out which Emacs
version is installed and then spending the next half hour customizing it
(if that's even allowed).  So please keep the stock Emacs settings
stable.

Regards,
Achim.