Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 19:26:05 +0200

> From: Filipp Gunbin <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 14:26:02 +0300
>
> I think the default should be "on" only when we have documented and
> stable logic (even if the implementation has bugs) that is not going to
> change much from version to version.
>
> Otherwise, people who switch versions often (as Achim wrote earlier)
> will be confused.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this.  If we decide to
leave the option on by default, it will stay on for substantial amount
of time.  And the same if we decide to turn it off by default.
Defaults don't change frequently in Emacs, as a matter of policy,
precisely for the reasons you mention.  Why should you think this
option will be any different?

> So I'm for "off" now.

Thanks.