Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notificati

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notification
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 18:29:52 -0500

> I suppose someone could argue that this ugliness might dissuade
> people from using these functions.

FWIW, I dislike cXXXXr, indeed.  It makes me feel like I'm looking at
assembly code.

> I realize there are prefix-less aliases for most of these functions.

Actually, no.  There isn't.  If you find some, it's only because you
happen to have `cl' loaded.

`cl-destructuring-bind' is often advantageously replaced by pcase-let.

cl-find-if, cl-position-if and cl-remove-if-not use CL-style keywords,
which are poorly (read: inefficiently) supported in Elisp functions, so
if we wanted to add them to Elisp, we'd be better served with something
slightly different which doesn't use keywords.

As for cl-incf, I hesitated to add it to gv.el originally.  In my
experience, it's definitely one of the most often used "cl-*" thingy, so
it's probably one of the best candidates for promoting to "just incf".
cl-cXXXr is relatively rare in comparison (especially if you replace
cl-cad..dr with nth and cl-cd...dr with nthcdr).
As for cl-rotatef I can't remember seeing it used.

        Stefan