Re: The future of Follow Mode - a proposal.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The future of Follow Mode - a proposal.
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 21:19:36 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 13:57:32 -0500
>
> >> As mentioned last time this follow-mode discussion came up, I think
> >> a better approach (maybe not easier, but more generally useful) would be
> >> to add an Elisp hook that can control the order in which
> >> windows are redisplayed.
>
> > But that's orthogonal to the issues described by Alan, right?
>
> Hmm... unless I misunderstood his suggestion, no.  Because "my" Elisp hook
> would let you do what he wants directly in Elisp without any changes
> in C.

I don't see how that could be possible.  The problem is not (only) the
order of displaying windows, the problem is that displaying each
window many times invokes the move_it_* functions that go beyond
window boundaries, and make decisions based on that.  These decisions
end up incorrect when the text beyond the window is displayed in a
window of a different width.