RE: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notificati

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 a9c48d5: Additional fixes for file notification
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 14:19:51 -0800 (PST)

> In theory the criterion is something along the lies of "either it's
> part of CommonLisp, or its implementation makes it belong to cl-lib".

That would be reasonable.  It's exactly what I argued for.  Likewise
wrt the prefix.  It excludes things like `letf' that have nothing
to do with CL.

> But usually the real criterion is simple: the one who writes and
> installs the patch gets to decide.

That would be workable, assuming that such decisions are not cast
in concrete when discovered to be mistaken.  In the long run,
theory & practice belong together and correct each other.

What has been missing is the above "theory" as a guideline for such
people.  Bugs happen.  Bugs can be fixed.  The guideline above, like
our coding conventions, can help decide what is a bug.

> [ So for example Drew typically doesn't get to decide. ]

Not a problem.  I haven't tried to decide or asked to decide.