Re: Character literals for Unicode (control) characters

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Character literals for Unicode (control) characters
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 08:11:43 -0800

On 03/02/2016 09:47 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
And then I thought -- well, if we should have a literal syntax for
Unicode control characters, why not for all of them?
Something like that would make sense. The escape sequence should bracket the name, so that the escape sequences could be used in strings without ambiguity. Something like \u[NAME], say.

I'd still prefer to use characters as-is in strings if they're displayable, e.g., the Lisp string:

"Use Greek capital letters (Α–Ω) to denote figures."

is more readable than:

"Use Greek capital letters (\u[GREEK CAPITAL LETTER ALPHA]\u[EN DASH]\u[GREEK CAPITAL LETTER OMEGA]) to denote figures."

But for undisplayable or hard-to-read characters the escape sequence would be a win.

More issues: should we insist on the full official name? should we allow obsolescent aliases? lower-case instead of upper case? initial prefixes of names?