Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 22:30:04 +0100

Nikolaus Rath <address@hidden> writes:

> When I submitted my first Emacs patch, I was astonished when I was asked
> to re-submit with my commit message essentially duplicated in the
> ChangeLog.

And I think this is essential input.  We are alienating contributors by
insisting on our weird (ok, "unusual") format of the meta data of the
patches.

The ChangeLog is useful for some of us.  But I would contend that its
usefulness doesn't trump all the contributors we have discouraged by
insisting on our quite singular submission format.

`M-x vc-region-history' is much, much more useful, in my opinion, than
perusing ChangeLogs.  Especially if the text people write is more than a
reiteration of what the VC logs already tell us.