Re: [gmane.emacs.diffs] master 2621c29: Use colors in the CV mode lines

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [gmane.emacs.diffs] master 2621c29: Use colors in the CV mode lines
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 02:09:45 +0200

>> We should provide defaults that make sense for the users. That's why font
>> locking comes with colours pre-chosen by us. If some users want different
>> colours, they can choose them, including choosing not to have any colours at
>> all.
>
> I think emacs-devel has sufficiently demonstrated that no one of us knows what
> "makes sense for the users". When establishing defaults for a new feature,
> we're pretty flexible, but not when it comes to changing a long established
> default without discussion.

It would be sad not to fix the existing problem of vc-mode failing
to notify the user about potentially detrimental states.

We are already using similar color-coding technique in the mode-lines of
compilation, grep, etc. with such faces as compilation-mode-line-fail,
compilation-mode-line-run, compilation-mode-line-exit.

It would be natural to extend the same faces to VC mode-lines as well.

Would you agree to install a patch after addressing the Mark's concern
about face inheritance?