Re: Should we restore manually maintained ChangeLogs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Should we restore manually maintained ChangeLogs
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 12:17:06 -0500

> I'm not a fan of 'git replace' for the same reason I'm not a fan of changing
> history in general.

Indeed, "git replace" is a lot more powerful than I'd like.

I don't consider commit messages as being part of "what happened" but
rather as a description of what happened (i.e. what historiographers
write).  So, I'm perfectly fine with "git replace" used on
commit messages.

[ IOW If it was for me, the computation of the SHA1 would not include
  the commit message.  ]

> I don't plan to use it and won't recommend it to others.  However, if
> allowing its usage is the price we need to pay for Eli's agreement
> then I'm willing to pay that price.

Is there some way to control its usage?

        Stefan