Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:38:49 +0600

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Filipp Gunbin <address@hidden> wrote:

>>   L235: If you are using a graphical display, such as X or MS-Windows,
>>   there should be a tall rectangular area called a scroll bar on one
>>   side of the Emacs window.
>>
>> If you are using a graphical display? I mean, of course, you are using a
>> graphical display?
>
> What's wrong with this?  A user may be in text console.

There’s nothing wrong with mentioning that Emacs *can also* function
in a text console, with several major restrictions (namely, the
keyboard input has an additional indirection layer, and the sets of
fonts and colors are severely reduced). But it is reasonable to assume
and encourage that a novice user will try the GUI version first.

Also, pretty much all potential new users (i.e. the target audience of
the tutorial) already know what a scrollbar is.