[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Unicode 9.0

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Unicode 9.0
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 05:42:03 +0200

> From: David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 02:57:15 +0000
> This may well be something that was going without saying, but just in 
> case / to be pernickety, there's a specific warning on the beta 9 page:
> http://unicode.org/versions/beta-9.0.0.html
> """
> No products or implementations should be released based on the beta UCD 
> data files—use only the final, approved Version 9.0.0 data files, 
> expected in June 2016.
> """
> It is also stated there they have already frozen the code point and 
> character names, and to be honest I haven't even looked at what's new in 
> 9 in any depth. In practice there may well not be any more changes 
> before finalisation of 9, whether emacs-significant changes or otherwise.
> And I'm _not_ objecting to the recent update (a761fbf2) of the files to 
> beta 9 in git for a shakedown during pretest, which I think was what Eli 
> meant anyway, but that's still distinct from an emacs official versioned 
> release tarball.
> I just mean (and this very probably won't even arise in the end): at 
> some future time close to the emacs release, if for some reason unicode 
> 9 still isn't officially final yet, and if for some reason you don't 
> want to delay the emacs release a bit to wait for it... the official 
> emacs release should probably be made with older final definitions, not 
> any beta ones.

I don't see why we should refrain from using the beta files in the
release, if they don't release the official Unicode 9.0 by the time we
are ready.  No reason whatsoever.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]