Re: pre-test windows binaries

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: pre-test windows binaries
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 10:18:34 -0400

> I agree too that Windows should not be a special case.  However, I'll
> prefer uncompressed files on all platforms (except perhaps those that
> are too constrained.)

That's your prerogative.  But I think that compressing the files is the
better default.  After all, whether we like it or not, and despite all
our efforts to make it really super easy to jump to Emacs's source code,
99.99% of those files will never ever be touched.

This said, maybe we should start to consider alternatives: while it's
great to be able to see the source code you're currently running, even
if you're out of network connectivity, it might make sense to start
making it similarly easy to jump to a VCS-controlled editable version of
that source so you can then easily send a patch upstream.

Not sure what that could/should look like.  E.g. maybe have code which
will checkout the source code from git.sv.gnu.org, or maybe include
a .git in the result of "make install".

        Stefan