Re: How do I bind a variable for the minibuffer's use?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How do I bind a variable for the minibuffer's use?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 14:59:34 -0400

> How do I bind a variable for the minibuffer?

There can be several minibuffers, so you need to be more precise.

> In particular, I want to bind text-property-default-nonsticky to
> include '(separator . t).

When/where is this property added and then used?

> The way it is done at the moment (in query-replace-read-from) is simply
> to bind that variable, in the hope that that binding will be the one
> seen by the minibuffer.

I guess the simplest way would be to use minibuffer-with-setup-hook
where you setq-local those vars.

This has the downside that those buffer-local settings may leak to the
next use of the minibuffer, but it's probably harmless (and with any
luck minibuffer-inactive-mode will kill those buffer-local settings as
soon as you exit the minibuffer).

        Stefan