[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Configuring fontsets with `unicode-fonts` [Was: Re: Should minibuffe
Re: Configuring fontsets with `unicode-fonts` [Was: Re: Should minibuffer prompt be made intangible by default?]
Sat, 02 Apr 2016 22:30:39 +1100
mu4e 0.9.16; emacs 24.5.3
Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> Installing fonts doesn't necessarily resolve the fontset
> configuration problems, especially since no package can know
> what other fonts are available on the end-user system.
Sorry, i'm not sure you understand what the `unicode-fonts`
I've read the code, but that doesn't necessarily mean I didn't
miss anything, of course.
However, I did read README.md as well, and upon re-reading now
the text you posted, I find nothing in it that would contradict
what I said.
You wrote "Installing fonts doesn't ...", and didn't write
something like "Installing fonts and then configuring them using
that package doesn't .... "Since `unicode-fonts` doesn't actually
install fonts, i think it wasn't entirely unreasonable of me to
assume that you thought that the package merely installed fonts.
My point is that, once you get to the 3rd item, no external
package can be the correct answer; instead, you need to teach
the user to configure his/her fontset according to his/her
preferences. In particular, the fontset setup should be based
not only on Unicode blocks, but also on the capabilities of the
fonts present in the original system configuration, and the
user's preferences for using particular font(s) for displaying
particular ranges of characters.
Sure. On my system, `unicode-fonts` actually decided to use glyphs
from the "Linux Biolinum" family for displaying Hebrew, which i
found basically illegible. So my setup manually prioritises Ezra
(setcdr (assoc "Hebrew" unicode-fonts-block-font-mapping)
'(("Ezra SIL" "Ezra SIL SR" "Arial Hebrew" "Raanana"
"New Peninim MT" "Aharoni" "David" "FrankRuehl"
"Gisha" "Levenim MT" "Narkisim" "Rod" "Cardo" "Courier
New" "Adobe Hebrew" "Code2000" "Aramaic Imperial Yeb"
"Microsoft Sans Serif" "Tahoma" "Lucida Sans Unicode"
"Arial Unicode MS" "Arial" "Quivira" "Everson
Mono:weight=boeld" "ALPHABETUM Unicode")))
At any rate, i've clearly misunderstood the problem - sorry! - so
i'll bow out now.