Re: matlab-mode MELPA, link contact FAQ?

From: Steve Purcell
Subject: Re: matlab-mode MELPA, link contact FAQ?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 20:23:34 +1200

> On 19 Apr 2016, at 12:29, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> http://melpa.org/ contains this Javascript code with no license
>
>    <script type="text/javascript">!function(d,s,id){var
>
> js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+'://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js';fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,
>      'script', 'twitter-wjs');</script>

Our source code does not contain that snippet: it is inserted at runtime by
https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js. That particular 3rd-party javascript,
which I am not aware to be free, can be cheerfully blocked by LibreJS without
causing the site to degrade. (The same goes for Google Analytics.)

> It also loads https://fr.amiando.com/resources/js/amiandoExport.js
> which seems to be source code, with no license.

No, our site does not load that script. I suspect that this is due to a browser
extension you are running — they frequently side-load further libraries.

> Those are clearly nonfree; it is no error for LibreJS to think so.
>
> The page also loads /js/bootstrap.min.js.  I tried to fetch
> http://melpa.org/js/bootstrap.min.js but that doesn't work.
> I suppose it needs to be loaded from some other site.

No, we do not mention or attempt to load that resource. I suspect a browser
extension again.

> It also loads
> http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.10.1.min.js,
> but that is free software and no problem.

Nope, we don't load jquery either.

These points have been confirmed by auditing the code and testing in several
browsers.

So with those points addressed, here's the situation re. LibreJS and the
javascript we *do* use:

- We have merged some website changes which mark up all our free javascript for
the convenience of LibreJS.
- LibreJS still complains about “cookies.js” because we are waiting for the
maintainers to confirm permissibility of the liberal "unlicence” it uses. So
far they have been unresponsive. [1]

When that LibreJS issue is cleared up, you will be able to use that extension
to more reliably confirm for yourself that no non-free software is required to
access melpa.org.

Regards,

Steve

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-librejs/2016-04/msg00000.html