Re: [ELPA] New package: cycle-quotes.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: cycle-quotes.el
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 17:32:31 -0400

> Michael, Stefan, will something like this provide enough flexibility for
> you?

I don't really have the time to try and think about what's needed to
cover the different possible needs.  But I don't see an urgent need to
come up with a perfect solution either.

So you might like to simply take it incrementally, adding support for
new cases as you bump into them.  Also, you have to weight the cost of
implementation/flexibility against the likelihood of it being used.
E.g. I'm not sure it'd be worth the trouble trying to add support for
switching between '...' quoting and heredoc-quoting in sh-mode.

Similarly, in sh-mode I could imagine situations where switching
correctly from "..." to '...' would require extra processing to make
sure any $... embedded in the string is still expanded.  But should we
really cater to such cases?

        Stefan